Man United stars' 'uneasy' view of goalkeepers Andre Onana and Altay Bayindir revealed as senior dressing room figures lose faith in Ruben Amorim's stoppers

Manchester United 's players are reportedly 'losing confidence' in both Andre Onana and Altay Bayindir after a dismal start to the season from the goalkeeping duo.

They slumped to a 15th-placed Premier League finish last term, but on Wednesday at Blundell Park the Red Devils stooped to a new low.

League Two minnows Grimsby Town sent United crashing out of the Carabao Cup in just the second round with a 12-11 win on penalties after holding Ruben Amorim 's side to a 2-2 draw in regulation time.

The result came as a huge shock to the struggling boss at Old Trafford, who cryptically claimed post-match that 'his players spoke very loudly' - likely a dig at his squad after an incredibly poor performance.

One of those who Amorim was no-doubt referring to was Andre Onana, who had arguably his worst outing in a United shirt. The former Inter Milan 'keeper failed to keep out the host's first goal at his near post before flapping under a cross for the second, and only managed to pull off a solitary save in the penalty shootout.

What's perhaps even more concerning going into this weekend's game against Burnley is that Onana's replacement hasn't done much better. Indeed, Altay Bayindir was at fault for Arsenal 's winner on the opening day and looked noticeably shaky at Craven Cottage at the weekend.

Altay Bayindir and Andre Onana have endured particularly difficult starts to the season

doc-content image
doc-content image

It's now thought that the duo's team-mates at Old Trafford are beginning to lose confidence in them

doc-content image

And - with United winless so far this season - Onana and Bayindir's team-mates are now understood to be losing confidence in them, according to the Manchester Evening News .

Senior sources in the Old Trafford dressing room are also thought to regard the damning loss at Grimsby as their worst result - worse than the 7-0 loss at Anfield, the 0-5 home defeat to Liverpool under Solskjaer and the 4-0 thrashing at Brentford under Erik ten Hag.

Whether Amorim opts for Onana or recalls Bayindir at Old Trafford on Saturday remains to be seen, but he's avoided criticising either of the out-of-form shot-stoppers publicly.

'It's not about Andre,' he said after the cup game.

'We are here with all due respect. I already said the best team won, but this is a fourth division team. Andre should just play with his feet during this game? It's not that that happened.

'It's not the goalkeeper, it's more than that. It's everybody.'

The United boss appeared particularly dejected in his post-match interviews, prompting rumours he may leave his post after admitting 'this is the limit'.

But ahead of the Burnley fixture, Amorim assured United fans he has no intentions to resign.

United boss Ruben Amorim has however refrained from criticising his goalkeepers

doc-content image

'Guys, to be really honest with you guys, every time that we have or have in the future one defeat like that, I'm going to be like that,' the 40-year-old said.

'I'm going to say that sometimes I hate my players, sometimes I love my players, sometimes I want to defend my players. I think this is my way of doing things and I'm going to be like that.

'And I felt that in that moment I was so frustrated and [annoyed]. And I know, again, that you have a lot of experienced people talking about the way I should perform with the media, to be more constant, to be more calm. I'm not going to be like that.'

'That kind of performance [against Grimsby] was [unacceptable]'.

Amorim will undoubtedly be hoping for reinforcements before next week's transfer deadline, with United bosses Omar Berrarda and Jason Wilcox working on a deal for Royal Antwerp's Senne Lammens.

The 23-year-old 'keeper is viewed as a replacement for Onana and Bayindir, but the two clubs are yet to reach an agreement over a fee.

Kobbie Mainoo remains a player who could leave United after telling the club of his desire to depart on loan on Thursday.

The Red Devils are believed to have told the England midfielder that they have no intention of letting him go, despite a host of clubs reportedly interested in securing his signature.

Carabao CupInjury UpdateTransfer RumorPremier LeagueManchester UnitedAndre OnanaAltay BayindirRuben Amorim