Jose Mourinho backed for Premier League return after Fenerbahce sack

Jose Mourinho has been sacked by Fenerbahce (Picture: Getty)

doc-content image

Jose Mourinho left his role as coach of Fenerbahce on Friday, two days after failing the Turkish club failed to qualify for the Champions League .

The 62-year-old Mourinho, one of the world’s most famous coaches, had been in charge of Fenerbahce since June of last year, but defeat against Benfica proved to be the last straw.

‘We have parted ways with Jose Mourinho,’ Fenerbahce said on its X and Instagram accounts. ‘We thank him for his efforts for our team and wish him success in his future career.’

There was no immediate statement on the club’s official website.

Mourinho’s spell in Turkey has been turbulent, including an incident in April when he grabbed the nose of Galatasaray coach Okan Buruk in the Istanbul derby — earning a three-match ban and a fine.

He was also handed a four-match ban in February after making an incendiary comment after a league match against Galatasaray.

Mourinho was once one of the most sought-after coaches in world soccer, after trophy-winning spells at Porto, Chelsea, Inter Milan, Real Madrid and Manchester United, but his status is on the wane. The two-time Champions League winner has not coached in the main stage of Europe’s marquee competition for six seasons.

Meanwhile, Fenerbahce’s absence from the Champions League now stretches to 17 seasons.

Under Mourinho, it they second in the Turkish league to Galatasaray last season.

As for his next move, Mourinho has stated his desire to manage at international level one day, but he is currently the second favourite to take over at Nottingham Forest.

Nuno Espirito Santo’s future at Nottingham Forest is uncertain (NurPhoto/Shutterstock)

doc-content image

The East Midlands club have enjoyed a remarkable rise under the guidance of Nuno Espirito Santo, a former Mourinho disciple, but the Portuguese manager’s future is the subject of intense speculation.

Despite starting the new campaign by taking four points from two games, a spectacular falling out between manager, owner Evangelos Marinakis and new sporting director Edu has threatened to undo much of the good work that has taken place at the City Ground.

Speaking ahead of last weekend’s game against Palace, Santo said: ‘I always had a very good relationship with the owner, last season we were very close and almost a daily basis.

‘This season it is not so well but I always believe that dialogue is important because my concern is the squad and the season we have ahead of us. Our relationship has changed and we are not as close.’

Evangelos Marinakis confronted Nuno Espirito Santo on the pitch last season (AFP via Getty)

doc-content image

Asked if it was good his relationship with Evangelos Marinakis had changed, Nuno replied: ‘No, it is not good.

‘I think everybody at the club should be together but this not the reality.’

When asked what has caused the change, Nuno said: ‘I don’t know exactly but I’m being honest with you, it is not the same. The reason behind it I do not know.

BenficaGalatasarayJose MourinhoOkan BurukNottingham ForestNuno Espirito SantoChampions LeagueFenerbahce