Alexander Isak's training ground goodbye claims as Newcastle issue response

doc-content image

Eddie Howe has addressed rumours that Newcastle United striker Alexander Isak has bid farewell to his team-mates at the club's Benton training ground. The speculation emerged on Swedish TV with claims that Isak had waited for team-mates to say an emotional goodbye ahead of a British transfer record-breaking move to Liverpool .

Yet, Howe made it clear he had "no knowledge" of the supposed meeting and insisted he "would know" if it had occurred. During a tense press conference, Howe also revealed he was still active in the transfer market.

He told the Newcastle Chronicle : "On Alex's situation I have no communication and no update, we are still actively looking to recruit but I don't know if that has any relation to Alex's situation."

When asked if he had received a goodbye from Isak, Howe said: "No, I have had no communication."

When pressed further on the supposed meeting, Howe added: "I have no knowledge of that, I can't tell you it didn't happen, but I certainly can't tell you it did. That is the first I have heard of it. I am pretty sure I would have known."

Speaking to Sky Sports on the same topic, Howe responded: "I'm not party to any talks going on. I have been preparing for this game which is demanding enough. I will find out like everyone else. We can't wait for the finish line because we need clarity to move forward."

Liverpool are reportedly lining up a late £130million move for Isak, but the Swede's exit could depend on Newcastle signing another striker.

In a major boost for the Magpies after a disappointing summer recruitment-wise, new signing Nick Woltemade is set to join the squad after the international break but Newcastle will still want another forward in the door before entertaining an Isak sale.

Newcastle are reportedly still in talks to sign Jorgen Strand Larsen from Wolves , and when quizzed about further transfers, Howe stated: "Being the manager you are always hopeful that you can maybe add one more that can make a difference but I am really happy with the work we have done so far and I think we are a lot stronger than last season. Fingers crossed we might be able to do some more."

Howe is eager to utilise his new £65m striker and talked up Woltemade after his move was confirmed on Saturday. He said: "He is a really good technician. His size will be a talking point because he is a big presence, but he is not a target man although he can head the ball.

doc-content image

"He has real creativity around the box, he can find space around the box and he can find passes that not many other players can see. So I think he can add a dimension we currently don't have and when you have goalscorers in your team the general level goes up.

"We are always looking to add multi-talented players. You don't want to be one dimensional. You have to have many strings to your bow to be successful in England. I think he has them and I am looking forward to seeing him play in our team.

"Any team in the Premier League would miss their centre forward, so I think we're in that bracket but we're also missing Anthony Gordon and Joelinton too.

"I don't think I can stand here and use that as an excuse. We still have very good players and can do more in that final third. It's never been an issue for us, scoring goals, so we need to turn that round very quickly.”

Sky has slashed the price of its Essential TV and Sky Sports bundle ahead of the 2025/26 season, saving members £192 and offering more than 1,400 live matches across the Premier League, EFL and more.

Transfer RumorNick WoltemadeJorgen Strand LarsenPremier LeagueNewcastle UnitedLiverpoolAlexander Isak